Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Mashed Red Potatoes with Chives

Okay, I'll just fess up right now -- this is not my picture. When I made this recipe I forgot to take a picture, so I snagged this from www.cookinglight.com

This recipe was so easy that I had to post it on my blog. I had never heard of making mashed potatoes this way -- so super fast and easy. Who knew you could use a microwave to make mashed potatoes?!

I served this side dish with barbecued flank steak and a green salad.

With summer here I'd like my posts to focus on healthy side dishes and desserts. Does anyone have any low-cal/low-fat side dishes or desserts they'd like to share? Just leave the recipe in the comment section and I'll choose some of my favorites to spotlight on my blog.

Mashed Red Potatoes with Chives

1 red potato (about 1/2 pound)
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
1 1/2 tablespoons fat-free milk
1 tablespoon yogurt-based spread (such as Brummel and Brown)
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tablespoon minced fresh chives

  1. Scrub potato; place in a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl (do not pierce potato with a fork). cover bowl with plastic wrap (do not allow plastic wrap to touch food); vent. Microwave at HIGH 8 minutes or until tender.
  2. Add garlic and next 5 ingredients to potatoes. Mash to desired consistency. Stir in chives. Yield: 2 servings (serving size: about 1/2 cup).
Nutrition:
Calories 120; fat 4g; protein 3.0g; carb 20g; fiber 2g; chol 4mg; iron 1mg; sodium 208mg

My Notes:
  1. I quadrupled this recipe since we needed more than two servings.
  2. I only added 2 cloves of garlic to our quadrupled recipe, but it seemed like a little too much garlic so I might try it with less garlic next time.
  3. I didn't have chives so I added a little parsley to give it the green color that it needed.

Positive thought for the day:

"I keep my mind focused on peace, harmony, health, love and abundance. Then, I can’t be
distracted by doubt, anxiety, or fear." –Edith Armstrong
(I needed this one today!)


Don't forget to leave your favorite recipe for a low-cal side dish or dessert. (Just post the recipe in the comments section.)  Over the summer I'll choose a few to spotlight on my blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment