Monday, May 2, 2011

Chile Lime Chicken Tacos with Avocado Cream


Well, it's been awhile since I've posted anything, but I have such a great recipe today that I had to make sure I got on and posted this one. Danielle and I have been trying to prepare some new recipes to see if we can add some different healthy items to our regular dinner choices. Quite frankly, we have had made some real duds lately! Last night I made one with chicken, wild rice, and a mustard/orange marmalade sauce - which you'd think sounds pretty good, but I was embarrassed to serve it! My family ate it though and said it wasn't so bad -- keep 'em hungry enough and they'll eat anything!! :)

The recipe I made tonight redeems me from my previous flop. I found this one in my Cooking Light magazine and I was pretty sure that it'd be delicious. The recipe calls for Ancho Chile Powder, but after looking in three different stores I just decided to use a combination of regular chile powder and a spicy mexican pepper blend. I love the combination of chile and lime, and with the addition of the avocado cream - which has lime in it as well - it's a real keeper!

The Cooking Light magazine calls this "Ancho Chicken Tacos with Cilantro Slaw and Avocado Cream":

1 lb. skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1/4 inch strips
3/4 teaspoon ancho chile powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
Cooking spray
1/8 teaspoon grated lime rind
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, divided
1/4 cup light sour cream
2 tablespoons 1% low fat milk
1/2 ripe peeled avocado, diced
2 cups packaged angel hair slaw
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon canola oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 (6 inch) tortillas

1. Heat a large skillet over high heat. Sprinkle chicken evenly with chile powder, garlic salt, and cumin. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add chicken to pan; cook 4 minutes; stirring frequently. Remove chicken from pan.
2. Combine rind, 1 tablespoon juice, and next 3 ingredients (through avocado) in a blender or food processor; process until smooth.
3. Combine remaining 1 tablespoon juice, slaw, onions, cilantro, oil, and salt, tossing to coat.
4. Heat tortillas according to directions.(I just heated them over the burner on the stove.) Divide chicken mixture evenly among tortillas. Top each tortilla with about 1 tablespoon avocado mixture and 1/4 cup slaw mixture. (this is the yummy stuff!)
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 tacos)

Calories 319; Fat 11.6g; Protein 30g; Carb 25.3g; Fiber 5.1g; Chol 72mg; Iron 1.3mg; Sodium 385mg; Calc 80mg


Happy thought for the day: " If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." ~Dalai Lama


No comments:

Post a Comment