Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Superfast Chicken Posale


The first time I ever ate Posale was at a church function a few years ago. The ladies from the Hispanic branch made this soup for their function and, after eating my first bowl, I fell in love! It's basically chicken soup with a kick.


I've never tried making the traditional recipe, but after reading this recipe at CookingLight.com I new I needed to give it a try. This recipe was listed in their "Quick & Easy - 20 minute recipes." The rotisserie chicken makes it super easy and "superfast."


Ingredients

  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 (8-ounce) package prechopped onion and celery mix
  • 4 canned tomatillos, drained and coarsely chopped
  • 2 (14-ounce) cans fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 (15-ounce) can white hominy, rinsed and drained
  • 2 cups chopped skinless, boneless rotisserie chicken breast
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/2 ripe peeled avocado, diced
  • 4 radishes, thinly sliced
  • Cilantro leaves (optional)

Preparation

  • 1. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add oregano and next 4 ingredients (through onion and celery mix); sauté 2 minutes.
  • 2. Stir in tomatillos; cook 1 minute. Add broth and hominy; cover and bring to a boil. Uncover and cook 8 minutes.
  • 3. Stir in chicken; cook 1 minute or until heated. Remove from heat; stir in lime juice, salt, and pepper. Divide evenly among 4 bowls. Top with avocado and radish. Garnish with cilantro, if desired.
  • 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups soup, 2 tablespoons avocado, and 1 radish)

  • Nutrition: Calories 290; Fat 11.2g; Protein 28.2g; Carbohydrates 20.2g; Fiber 4.5g; Iron 2.4mg; Sodium 452mg; Calcium 62mg

My Notes:

1. I chopped my own onion and celery and didn't purchase the pre-chopped stuff.
2. I used parsley instead of cilantro since Dayle's not a fan of cilantro. It was nice to have a bit of green color though.
3. It might be hard to find the tomatillos. I found them in the Mexican food aisle at Von's.
4. I think I might add more hominy next time - yum!
5. I added tortilla strips for some added crunch and flavor. I just thinly sliced some corn tortillas, sprayed them with cooking spray, and then baked them at 400 degrees until crisp. Sprinkle with salt afterwards.


Positive thought for the day:
"The greatest discovery of my generation is that man can alter his life simply by altering his attitude of mind." - William James



5 comments:

  1. Hominy is basically just corn. They do something to the hull to soften it so it turns out soft and puffy. I think you'd like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sort of what to try artichokes. Do you have any good recipes that we can try when I get home?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got an email that said you posted a comment, but I couldn't find it on the site. I think you asked about artichokes? I don't have any recipes, but I'm sure we could find something. Have you ever eaten an artichoke?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it was about me wanting to try an artichoke. I have only ever had the spinach artichoke dip at Applebees.

    ReplyDelete