Monday, March 28, 2011

Coconut Chicken


I found this recipe at CookingLight.com and since we love coconut, we just had to try it! It was pretty good and a nice change from plain baked chicken. I changed the recipe a little a bit since I didn't have some of the ingredients on hand, and I wanted to bake the chicken instead of pan fry. (See my notes below for my changes.)
Sorry for the poor quality photos - I wish they were a little better. Maybe with a little practice... or a new camera. (hint, hint honey)

Ingredients
4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1/2-inch-thick strips
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 cup rice flour
1 cup whole buttermilk
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups unsweetened flaked coconut
3 tablespoons canola oil
Sweet chile sauce (optional)
Preparation
1. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Place flour in a shallow dish. Combine buttermilk and egg in a shallow dish, stirring well. Place coconut in a shallow dish. Dredge chicken in flour; shake off excess. Dip chicken in egg mixture; dredge in coconut.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add chicken to pan; cook 6 minutes or until done, turning to brown. Serve with chile sauce, if desired.
My changes: I didn't have rice flour so I just used regular flour. I also didn't have whole buttermilk so I made my own using fat free milk and vinegar. Finally, since I didn't want to fry the chicken, I put the chicken on a cookie sheet sprayed with Pam - lightly spray the chicken pieces as well. Bake it in the oven at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes, or until cooked through. Turn once while baking.
Nutritional Information
Calories: 298, Fat: 12.7g , Protein: 28.7g, Carbohydrate: 15.9g, Fiber: 1.7g, Cholesterol: 102mg, Iron: 1.4mg, Sodium: 318mg Calcium: 20mg

Positive thought for the day: "Well," said Pooh, "what I like best," and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. ~A.A. Milne

No comments:

Post a Comment