Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Pita Pocket and Home-baked Fries


This is one of those meals that I always forget I can make in a pinch. I’m usually trying to figure out what I can make for dinner using ground beef and then the light bulb in my head goes on and I say “Oh, yeah, I can make pita pockets!” I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had this conversation in my head. J
The whole wheat pita pockets are low in fat and a good source of fiber. I like them toasted because it brings out the nutty flavor of the wheat. I just cut the pita pocket in half and pop it in the toaster like a slice of bread.

The home-baked fries in this recipe are a family favorite at our house. Whenever I make these “fries” I always hear a big “YES!” when I pull them out of the oven. They are a very simple recipe – potatoes sprayed with Pam and sprinkled with an herb blend, then baked in the oven. They turn out crispy and a little spicy because of the herbs.

We all love fries, but the homemade version is so much healthier. Here’s a quick comparison:
Home-baked fries (56g) 52 calories; 0 fat; 1g fiber; 1g protein
Store bought frozen French fries (baked) (69g) 115 calories; 4g fat; 2g fiber; 2g protein
In-n-Out French fries (1 order) 400 calories; 18g fat; 2g fiber; 7g protein
McDonald’s French fries (small order) 209 calories; 10g fat; 2g fiber; 3g protein
Wendy’s French fries (kid’s size) 254 calories; 11g fat; 4g fiber; 3g protein

Pita Pockets
Thomas brand whole wheat pita pockets, toasted
90% lean ground beef, cooked and crumbled, drained
Fat free sour cream
Lettuce, chopped
Mexican cheese blend (optional – save about 4g of fat if you don’t use the cheese)

Directions:
Season the ground beef with salt and pepper. Fill toasted pita pockets with cooked ground beef (about ¼ cup). Top the filled pockets with sour cream, lettuce, and a sprinkle of shredded cheese.

Home-baked fries
6 or 7 medium sized Russet potatoes
Pam spray
Herb blend (I use a rosemary/garlic blend from Sam’s Club)
Directions:
Wash and slice the potatoes into long strips. Spray cookie sheet with Pam spray and the “fries” as well. Sprinkle with herb blend. Bake for 40-45 minutes at 400o, or until crispy. Turn the fries over at least twice during the baking.

Pita Pocket Nutrition info (3oz ground beef, ½ pita pocket):
324 calories; 15g fat; 5g fiber; 59g protein

Home-baked fries Nutrition info (1 medium potato):
161 calories; 0g fat; 4g fiber; 4g protein

While researching the nutrition info for this recipe, I ran across this website that talks about different ways to reduce the fat when cooking ground beef:

Positive thought for the day:
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ~ Dr. Seuss (http://www.suite101.com/content/uplifting-words-quotes-and-sayings-a116309)


No comments:

Post a Comment